donate

Wednesday 4 March 2015

Smoking



I remember making the outlandish claim “I’ll give up when they go over two quid a packet.”
It was 1993 and D:Ream were busy telling us that things would only get better.
Things didn’t, of course, and I advanced to planning to quit when they passed the £3 mark.
When I was a bit skint, I used to go to Darlington’s premier smoking emporium and buy loose-weight tobacco. A bag full of black cherry-flavoured noodles and a packet of liquorice papers for £1.90 would last me a week and make me look like a twat.
Nobody smoked roll-ups in those days and my mother walked in on me rolling a few before a night out once. She was relieved that it wasn’t “wacky baccy” I was using.
But they were enlightened times for the smoker. There wasn’t anywhere you couldn’t do it. You could smoke on a train; you could smoke on a plane. It was like being the Sam-I-Am of nicotine.
Prices continued to rise and the number of places you could smoke decreased.
A fag with a pint isn’t the same when you have to stand outside the back of a pub, next to the bins which haven’t been emptied for a fortnight, as rain tops up your pint and the loud whir of a colossal fridge motor from the cellar gives you tinnitus.
I gave up, or rather took a smoking sabbatical, for eighteen months. I was always going to return to the habit, even though smokers now command the same level of respects as lepers or traffic wardens.
Now you ask for 20 cigarettes and the packets only contain 19. If you want decent smokes, they’re over £8 a packet. If you’re not that rich, you can get cigarettes made from the sweepings up at a proper cigarette factory for £6.
50 grams of rolling tobacco will cost you just under £20 these days and you will always find at least one small piece of wood hiding amongst the flakes.  
I’m going to try and give up again.
The combination of willpower and an anorexic wallet should help out.
There’s also talk of hypnotism. I’m just a bit concerned that when I become addicted to that, I’ll have to walk around with Paul McKenna strapped to my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment