donate

Friday 4 November 2016

Bingo

This rant is about Bingo, although not the book of the same name which I penned (it's available here if you're interested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bingo-Tim-Jones/dp/1503268934/ref=sr_1_1_twi_pap_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478260104&sr=8-1&keywords=bingo+tim+jones). No, this rant focuses on a conversation I overheard this morning.
I was in Wetherspoon's (subject of a previous rant) having one of their cheap breakfasts (also the subject of a previous rant). There were a lot of loud people in there (definitely the subject of several previous rants).
Two old ladies sat at the table next to mine.
"Have any luck on Saturday?" asked one.
I really hoped they weren't talking about sex.
"No, my winning streak has come to an end."
Thank God for that. Only gambling - a sin which leaves less scarring mental images.
"How often do you go to the bingo?"
"Three or four times a week."
A real high-roller.
"That must cost you a lot?"
"I play a system."
A system, eh?
What kind of system do you play where numbers are drawn out at random and you don't get to choose which numbers are on your card? I was all ears as to how I could potentially also find myself on the pathway to bingo riches. Maybe this woman was a mathematical genius and she was about to spill the beans on how to take Gala to the cleaners?
I ate my breakfast wrap as I continued to eavesdrop. They chatted more bingo and then, finally, she hinted at what her foolproof system was.
It's genius and I can't believe nobody has thought of this before.
What you do is you play loads of cards simultaneously, thereby massively increasing your chance of winning.
Yes, really.
I facepalmed my way straight out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment