donate

Monday 7 December 2015

True Till Death



Christmas has managed to fuck me right off yet again.
Today I found it necessary to visit my local supermarket once more. I won’t mention their name, but it was the same one that got my goat on Saturday. It rhymes with What-a-mess-co anyway.
It was quiet when I popped in this morning. It’s always best to go there first thing, I find. The staff weren’t wearing amusing jumpers and there was no forced yuletide enthusiasm. There wasn’t even any Christmas music. There were very few customers and I raced around the shop with relative ease. Bliss.
My problem began at the till.
There was no queue, so I opted for the self-service checkout method.
As I touched the screen to start my transaction, I could have sworn I heard the sound of sleigh bells. Surely not? I assumed I was just a little tired and continued.
After I’d paid, I was putting my purchases into my own bag (there’s no way I’m paying 5p when we’ve got at least a million carrier bags at home) when something made me quite angry.
What was it?
It was the voice from the self-service till.
“Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas!” it screamed at me.
Some people will think that this is a nice touch, but I am most definitely not one of these people.
My first thought was that the supermarket is very lucky not to have a hardware department. If it did I would have gone back in and bought an axe so I could smash up all of their stupid tills.
Now that would be an unexpected item right in the bagging area.

No comments:

Post a Comment