donate

Friday 11 December 2015

Man Flu over the Cuckoo's Nest



I woke up this morning and I had the beginnings of a chesty cough. They aren’t lyrics from the worst blues song ever written, sadly.
I know, I probably brought it on myself. Smoking will have contributed to any chest problems I have. As will being brought up in the 70s and 80s in a world that was practically constructed entirely from asbestos.
As the day progressed, so did my cough. Other symptoms included tiredness, lethargy and general shitness. It was almost so bad that it felt like a Monday.
I’ve dealt with it as best as I possibly can: sleep, acupuncture, beer and curry have all been involved.
Colds are always shit. It’s the one thing that medical boffins can’t cure. Really? I suspect they can and that they’ve developed a pill for it. They just want us to spend thousands of pounds on tissues, throat lozenges, cough syrups that no longer get you drunk and chalky lemon-based drinks instead of simply taking one pill and being fine by the following morning.
I’m not one to make a massive deal out of being ill. I’ve only had two days off work through illness in the last five years. I may have had additional days off when I claimed to be ill, but that’s a different story. If any former employers are reading: nurr!
I’ve also only been to the doctor twice in the last decade, so I’m far from a hypochondriac (and spellcheck also just proved I’m also far from somebody who can spell hypochondriac).
I don’t have any amazing plans for the coming days that are health-dependant, but that’s not the point. If my last free weekend of 2015 is ruined by illness I will be fucking furious.
It could be worse, I could have explosive diarrhoea. A one-man rectal Vesuvius show is always good for a laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment