donate

Saturday 11 April 2015

Like



Since some of you will be reading this having seen the link I posted on Facebook, you might not like this. Or you may agree wholeheartedly.
Today’s rant is about Facebook, obviously, although I doubt any of you are the kind of users who really get my goat.
I’d always tried to avoid joining it, but I eventually succumbed and now I’m hooked. Sadly, like everything else, there are elements of it that really piss me off.

Firstly we have the serial photo uploaders.
Everyone likes to post a pic or two of what they’re doing or where they’ve been, myself included. What is totally unnecessary is demonstrating that you’ve just had a great night out by uploading 15,000 photographs of it.
Was the night out really that good? Blurred shots of people in varying forms of inebriation, holding aloft receptacles of bizarre-coloured two-for-one cocktails whilst gurning with red eyes suggest otherwise. You were too busy taking photos to possibly be able to enjoy any of it.
You might have just enjoyed the arrival of a new addition to your family. Congratulations, but I really don’t need to see your time-lapse photography journal of every ten seconds of its life until it turns sixteen.
Imagine if our parents had shared our baby photos with the whole world. We still wouldn’t have forgiven them.

Next up is the lazy Facebook user.
“What time is Tesco open?” one such person might ask.
I don’t know. Perhaps if you type the same question into a search engine you might find out? Or maybe you enjoy waiting three hours for a concrete response, after wading through hordes of “I don’t know”, “I think they shut at 6”, “I like Tesco too” and “Asda is better” responses?
The same user will go on to ask: “Where can I get my nails done?”
If only the device which you were using to access Facebook could also access some sort of digital business directory. Oh, it can.
STOP FLOODING MY TIMELINE WITH YOUR POINTLESS QUESTIONS.
They’re relentless.
“Can anyone recommend a good roofer?”
Aaaarrrgghh!
What amazes me most about this is that nobody ever responds with a simple “yes” or “no”.

Lastly, and a subject I have covered before, is them what use poor grammar and spelling.
In a recent thread about the local library being temporarily closed, there were fifteen posts which contained a total of eleven mistakes.
And more annoying than this is the sudden arrival of “tia”. Apparently it’s “thanks in advance”, but it seems to be considered an actual word now.
Using it should result in immediate exclusion.

Anyway: like this, share this or “defriend” me if you want. I’m not bothered.

No comments:

Post a Comment