donate

Wednesday 8 April 2015

Customer Service



Problem with your electricity bill? Luckily there’s a handy number to call to resolve the problem quickly.
In theory.
What really happens is far from easy.
This happened to me a few years ago when I was sent an estimated bill. Said estimated bill was ludicrous. If I had had the heating on full 24/7 and had been growing marijuana in the attic, it would still have been ludicrous.
After looking on the electricity company’s website and trawling through FAQs I was finally allowed the phone number to their customer service department. I dialled the number, remembering not to phone from my mobile which would have incurred charges of at least £17 a minute.
“Press 1 if you have an existing problem. Press 2 if you have a new problem. Press 3 if your problem is quite problematic,” a voice that sounded like a female Stephen Hawking announced.
I pressed 1 by mistake.
“Please type in your sixty-five digit reference number.”
Shit.
“I can’t recognise that number.”
That’s because I hadn’t typed one.
“Press 1 to enter your reference number. Press 2 to return to the main menu.”
I pressed 2.
“All our operators are currently busy.”
Oh joy. I was treated to a panpipe version of a medley of Duran Duran hits for seventeen minutes.
“All our operators are still busy. If you still have a problem, press 1.”
I pressed 1.
“Please read out your account number.”
I put on my best reading voice. “One, zero, zero, seven, five…”
“You said “eight, three, six, hashtag, pound sign”. Is that correct?”
“No, it’s not fucking correct!” I screamed.
“If it is correct, press 1. If it is not correct, press 2. If you are unsure, press 3.”
I pressed 2.
“All our operators are currently busy.”
Aaaarrrggghhh!
Eight minutes of something that sounds like an 80s TV theme, probably written by Ronnie Hazelhurst.
“Press 1 if you wish to hold. Press 2 if you’re losing the will to live. Press 3 to speak to a member of our call centre staff.”
I pressed 3. After half an hour they were going to let me talk to an actual person!
There was total silence. “Hello?” I asked, tentatively.
There was no answer. The bastards had cut me off!
I could have called them back, but I would probably still be on hold.
The problem was eventually solved by sending around twenty emails. Ace customer service.

No comments:

Post a Comment