donate

Friday 12 May 2017

The Sky's the Limit

This is a subject that I thought I'd get to rant about, was then pleasantly surprised that I wouldn't have to, but now they've given me good reason to anyway.
Confused?
Well let me explain.
After my mum died I had a ton of phone calls to make to cancel various things. One of these which I dreaded because I was sure they would be difficult was Sky.
I couldn't have been more wrong. They were very sympathetic and offered their condolences before saying that they would cancel all the services she was paying for with immediate effect. They even said there would be a partial refund due to me and they'd send that out promptly. “Keep the TV box, we don't want that back,” they told me. Great, I could sell it at a car boot sale and make a few quid there too.
I'd heard that Sky were very difficult to get out of a contract with, but it seems death makes it easy.
But that isn't the end of the story.
This morning a cheque for £13 and small change arrived. That's ok. Even if it did arrive 32 days after I'd spoken to them on the phone.
There was another letter from Sky today too and that's the subject of this rant.
My mum had had insurance through Sky as well as her phone, internet and TV. The insurance was only for her TV, bizarrely enough, and I suspect that she may have been strongarmed into taking that coverage, but I guess that can't ever be proven.
The letter went something like this.
We're sorry to hear about your recent loss. Your mother had insurance for her television with us. Do you wish to take out coverage for that same item? We have enclosed a direct debit form.”
At this point an imaginary needle scraped across an imaginary record.
What was that now? Did they really just do that?
They might as well have said: “Your mum's dead, yadda, yadda, yadda, give us your money.”
No, Sky. You can fucking fuck right the fucking fuck off and when you get there you can fucking well fuck off some fucking more. Is that clear enough?
Sky had restored some of my faith a little, but now I realise I was right to be sceptical about them all along. Using death to tout for new business? That's too far.
I will never pay a penny for any Sky service as long as I live, not that that will cause them too many sleepless nights.
And really, Sky Protect TV insurance for “only” £9.99 a month? Most household insurance is cheaper than that and will cover your TV anyway. Robbing, thieving, delinquent, opportunistic bastards.


No comments:

Post a Comment