donate

Wednesday 14 January 2015

Eating Out



This afternoon I saw a post on Facebook advertising two meals for a tenner in a nearby pub.
I’d eaten there before and wasn’t impressed. Like an idiot I decided to reply to the post and mention the negative experience.
Big mistake.
I’d ordered burger and chips, which was what I got. Sadly it was a frozen burger in a not-particularly-fresh supermarket roll, with the bare minimum amount of cheap cheese. It was served with soggy chips and a lifeless salad.
I mentioned during that obligatory dining experience of being asked how your food is while you have a mouthful of said food, and the waitress was nonplussed by the muffled complaint I gave.
Of course I ate most of it because I was hungry and, being British, I didn’t want to cause too much of a fuss.
I paid and vowed never to eat there again. Case closed.
Until today.
Two people who work in the pub responded to me saying: “We get all our meat from a local butcher. Perhaps you’re confusing us with Wetherspoon’s?” and: “The potatoes in June will make chips soggier.”
Really?
I pointed out that I was simply dissatisfied with the meal and was told: “The frozen burger never happened – simple as that” and: “We get very, very many compliments about our food, but very few complaints.”
So because I’m in the minority of people who visit their pub who has functioning tastebuds, I‘m wrong, am I?
Apparently so.
“We eat there all the time. Don’t let one idiot saying negative things put you off. He’s just stirring,” replied another irate user, although I’ve taken the liberty of correcting their spelling and grammar.
The whole conversation has now been removed from Facebook, presumably because it stemmed from somebody posting an advert to a What’s On-type group.
That doesn’t mean I won, but I will win if I never subject myself to their “food” ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment